POLICY FOR CLOSINGS AND DELAYS
Our closings/delays will be posted on our home page and channel 12 news CT.
During the Darien Public Schools calendar year: If the Darien Public Schools are closed, have a delayed start or an early dismissal due to inclement weather, please use the following schedule for Darien Nature Center classes.
- Darien Public Schools are closed, Darien Nature Center will be closed.
- Darien Public Schools have a delayed opening, the Darien Nature Center will begin all classes at 10:15 (INCLUDES KNEE-HI TO NATURE).
- Darien Public Schools have an early dismissal. The Darien Nature Center Director will make a decision regarding early dismissal by 7:00 am.
Due to inclement weather during a Darien Nature Center Vacation Program a decision will be made based on local area schools that are in session at that time.
- We will take into consideration the safety of your children and our teachers.
- Please tune into Channel 12 news and/or our website.
SCHOOL CLOSING REFUND POLICY:
Due to inclement weather no refunds or make-up classes will be offered except in the following cases:
1) During regular classes; if a same day of the week class is cancelled two times due to inclement weather, the Darien Nature Center will offer a credit* of 100% for the third day and each subsequent same day of the week thereafter.
2) During a vacation program; if a vacation day is cancelled a credit* of 100% will be offered for that day.
*Credits must be used within the same calendar year towards any new program.
Please, keep your children home:
- When they have a temperature of 100 degrees F, or higher
- Until they are fever free (temperature 99 degrees F, or lower) for 24 hours without receiving fever-reducing medication
- When they feel unwell and appear sick, even in the absence of fever
- When they have diarrhea, and until they are diarrhea-free for 24 hours
- When they are vomiting, and until they have stopped vomiting for a minimum of 24 hours
- When they have a severe cough that cannot be controlled, or copious thick green/yellow mucous from the nose
- If they have been diagnosed with Strep Throat and it has not been at least 24 hours since the first dose of antibiotics
- If they are diagnosed with influenza and are taking Tamiflu must be symptom-free for 24 hours
To keep all children and staff healthy, we need your cooperation! Please give a courtesy call if your child is out sick. Recovering children are more likely to pick up a new illness. Keep in mind that we spend time outdoors daily, so if your child is not well enough to go outside, please keep him/her at home. Frequent handwashing is also an important habit that prevents the spread of illness.